We have been best friends for over 12 years, and Diva Sisters for 5. Many things have changed, but three things have not: our love of music, our love of symbolism, and our love of lists (OK, Arlie’s love of lists). So the following is a list of the top 10 songs of our friendship, in chronological order. Don’t judge us by our bad tastes in music. We have included YouTube video links to the songs and a little description so there is a method to our madness. This is just a little post to let you know a little more about us, especially since we haven’t been able to do the whole video thing while on opposite sides of the world’s second largest landmass.
1. Billy S (Skye Sweetnam) Wednesday evenings in grade 6 went like this:
singing dancing along to Skye Sweetnam’s Noise From the Basement in Alannah’s mom’s car, swimming at the Y, fettuccini alfredo and Strawberry-Kiwi Snapple at Pasta Perfection.
2. Girlfriend (Avril Lavigne) Yeah so it was third-album-era Avril which was really not good but that didn’t keep us from going to the Best Damn Tour in full Avril costume and singing along to every song. Arlie dressed as Avril from the Let Go years and Alannah (sporting bleach blonde hair…a fashion statement she regrets to this day) as Avril from The Best Damn Thing.
3. If I Had $1,000,000 (Barenaked Ladies) It was the Spring of 2007, just before our friend Merritt’s 14th birthday when the three of us took a trip to a gigantic outlet mall outside of Toronto and the whole drive there and back we listened to nothing but “If I Had $1,000,000” and “Grade 9” by the Barenaked Ladies. For several years we developed a tradition of giving each other increasingly weird “fake” green dresses on our birthdays, because a real green dress would be cruel.
4. I’ll Follow You Into The Dark (DCFC) Alannah’s Dad somehow got us VIP tickets to the Stars/DCFC concert on the Toronto Island in grade 9 and we missed most of it for a reason that we don’t even want to talk about because we’re still mad. We also don’t talk much about how we discovered DCFC but it had something to do with the “Twilight Saga.” Needless to say our love for DCFC was eternal while “Twilight” was a really bad fad.
5. Pork and Beans (Weezer) Pork (Alannah) and Beans (Arlie) may be our weirdest nicknames. Yes, we do call each other Porksie and Beansie. We actually don’t remember when someone pointed out that this song existed – we hadn’t even heard it before we made it our theme song. Yes, we rewrote the lyrics to this song to fit our friendship. For the record, when we find chunky milk we pour it down the sink. But we also write our friendship in indelible ink.
6. Don’t Stop Believin’ (Glee) Arlie actually remembers the first time Alannah played this song for her – we were in the props room of our high school the summer before grade 11. The show hadn’t even aired yet and she was already a fan. We later went to the Glee Concert accurately dressed as Rachel Berry and Santana Lopez (pictured below).
7. Alone Again (Alyssa Reid feat P. Reign) Our March break 2011 trip to Hawaii was friendship-saving. Probably sharing earbuds to listen to this song a million times was a factor. Actually, on another listening of this song all these years later this song perfectly sums up what happened to us in grade 12. Well…some parts of it anyway.
8. Kindred Spirits (Anne of Green Gables) We played Anne (Alannah) and Diana (Arlie) in our high school’s production of Anne of Green Gables in grade 12. Perfect casting if we do say so ourselves.9. The Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) It was our grad song. So feelings. Very nostalgia.
10. Problem (Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea) “Abababadaba badabadaba but it’s you! Ooh ooh ooh!” Arlie moved into Alannah’s house in Toronto for one night for the air conditioning and ended up crashing for 3 weeks while Alannah’s parents were gallivanting across France. This song quickly became the anthem of the summer. You may have noticed it in the No Mirror Makeup Challenge.